Rebate Checks

Past-E-Mail: Various Topics: Politics and Religion, Ketchup or Gravy: Rebate Checks
Snowman (Snowman) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 05:46 pm:

Well, the check's in the mail, should probably get it when H E double hockey sticks freezes over. I'm planning on filling up the truck with mine, what are you doing with your big bucks?

By Heikki (Heikki) on Friday, May 2, 2008 - 09:44 pm:

Buying firewood for next winter. Spending it locally so none goes to OPEC and oil companies, except for what little is used for processing.
#2 fuel oil prices are nuts. Wood is good!

By David Hiltunen (Davidcorrytontn) on Saturday, May 3, 2008 - 06:39 am:

I think I will take the risk with mine and gamble with it in Cherokee, N.C. I heard they are going by the last two numbers of your SS on when you will get the check. So if you have a high number with your last two in the ninety's it will be afew more weeks yet.

By Sheri (Sheri) on Saturday, May 3, 2008 - 08:54 am:

All the checks coming by direct deposit will be in the accounts by May 16. Many have already started to receive them. SS numbers ending with 21-75 should be the week of May 5-9.

By Janie T. (Bobbysgirl) on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 08:41 am:

We will gladly use ours for our vacation to Duluth, Mn. the North Shore, and northern Wisconsin wonderlands. Thankfully we have the lower S.S. numbers!

By Richard Wieber (Dickingrayling) on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 10:44 pm:

If you use your check at Wal-Mart it will end up in China. If yu use it for fuel it will end up in Arabia. I suggest you spend it on Jack Daniels and wild women, that way it stays in the good old US of A.

By David Hiltunen (Davidcorrytontn) on Monday, May 5, 2008 - 11:56 pm:

And do not forget one will have to claim that Tax check as income when you file next year. Please take a look at the Fair Tax idea, not to be confused with the Flat Tax.

By FJL (Langoman) on Tuesday, May 6, 2008 - 05:39 am:

I don't believe you will have to claim it as income..........

By FRNash/PHX, AZ (Frnash) on Tuesday, May 6, 2008 - 10:34 am:

By David Hiltunen (Davidcorrytontn):

"And do not forget one will have to claim that Tax check as income when you file next year.

From the economic stimulus FAQS at the IRS


Q. Is my stimulus payment taxable?

A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment.

Michael Du Long (Mikie) on Tuesday, May 6, 2008 - 11:08 pm:

Got paid today from the IRS, direct deposit. Going to buy a three wheel trike for me. Gettin closer to my birthday. Thanks George and company for my jingle. I am thinking of this money as a birthday present.

By Capt. Paul (Eclogite) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 06:06 pm:

How are we going to spend our IRS Stimulus check???

By supporting the economy of Scotland this summer on our vacation!! ;-)

By David Hiltunen (Davidcorrytontn) on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 07:25 pm:

I stand corrected which is great. About the only thing to do with your check to keep the cash here is to spend it at Yard Sales. They are still American owned.

By Matt Karhu (Matt_k) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:11 am:

I was recently advised by a reliable source that the rebate checks will aid the IRS in finding people who should be filing annual income tax forms but don't, and those people shouldn't submit the form required for their category of income tax rebate if they want to continue to avoid being exposed.

By Heikki (Heikki) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 10:26 am:

From the IRS website:

To receive a payment, taxpayers must have a valid Social Security number, $3,000 of income and file a 2007 federal tax return.

One has to file in order to receive. It appears it is the return itself that 'triggers' the process. Don't see any concern for those who never file, unless there are additional steps required. Didn't see any on the IRS website.

By Matt Karhu (Matt_k) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:06 pm:

People who should be filing an annual income tax form and paying income tax apparently then can become subjects of an IRS investigation when they file a 1040a to obtain a rebate check.

By Heikki (Heikki) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:23 pm:

Agree. El trappo. LOL

By Marianne Y (Marianne) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:13 pm:

Hey, if you've been paying your taxes all along, you have nothing to fear. :-)

By Heikki (Heikki) on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 07:32 pm:

LOL! Good one, Marianne. No fear here. Wish I had a stimulus check for every 1040 filed over the years. Could be basking in the Caribbean now. The way I read Matt's first post left me feeling there was something I missed. Just another 'senior moment', I guess. I have plenty of those. Too bad they can't be used as legal tender, eh? ;-)

By Brooke (Lovethekeweenaw) on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 04:08 pm:

I used mine to economically stimulate Northwest Air, bought my daughters plane ticket. what was left is going in the tank I'm sure.

By Eugene Zuverink (Zube) on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 06:06 pm:

This is for non direct deposit, if your SS # ends with,
10-18 May 23
19-25 May 30
26-38 June 6
39-51 June13
52-63 June20
64-75 June27
76-87 July 4
88-99 July 11

We will be helping China out with our checks,
because thats where almost every thing comes from.
Gene in Wayland

Powered by:  
Join Today!
Each day the Pasty Cam has 2 areas to post messages: 
  • Cam Notes - comments related to today's picture and discussion
  • What'sUP - other topics, conversation and announcements
  • *** Please use the appropriate forum ***
    Here's a list of messages posted in the past 24 hours
    See our guest photo gallery for more great views from the U.P.

    Add a Message

    A user/password combination is now required to post messages to Cam Notes. Registration is free. Click here to register or maintain your I.D.

    Home | Pasty Cam | Contest | Order Now | Bridge Cam | Past-E-Mail | GP Hall of Fame | Making Pasties | Questions