Nov 26-00

Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2000: November: Nov 26-00
Houghton house fire    ...scroll down to share comments
Photo by Daryl Laitila

Charlie at Pasty Central on Sunday, November 26, 2000 - 05:11 pm:

Where Montezuma becomes College Avenue in Houghton, drivers today encountered an obstacle course of fire trucks, battling a blaze in one of the private student housing units. As we can see above, the hose blast appears directed toward the chimney. Daryl Laitila, keeper of the Bridge Cam, rushed over from the Hancock side to capture the scene.

This shot is looking south, and BJ's Creations store is just to the right of our view. Wonder if any of our web visitors have ever lived in this house?

By Karen, WI on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 01:10 am:

Was anyone hurt? Possibly they were gone for the Thanksgiving weekend? I didn't live in that house, but turn left at that upper telephone pole (Houghton Ave.), go two blocks and I lived there for over 16 years. I visit the pastycam regularly to check on "home."

By Jeff Laitila on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 03:33 am:

For a while I lived in one of the aprtments above BJ's creations while I was going to Tech. Walked and rode my bike by the house pictured above everyday.

Jeff Laitila, Japan,

By Bill MN on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 08:32 am:

I lived right next door to the south. Walked past
it every day for a year in 1977-78. Boy do I miss
the UP. Been stuck here since 1985.

By Guy & Wanda - Flint/Calumet Township on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 06:14 pm:

We drove by yesterday and noticed that a Salvation Army officer was at the scene, apparently ascertaining the needs of the residents of the house. We thought it important that others not at the scene know that such organizations continue to quietly and often without attention faithfully go about their duties.

By Diana, WI on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

I lived in the upstairs apartment during the 80-81 school year. There was a cute Swedish hockey player(Per Oke Johansen)living across the street. I don't remember there being a woodstove, but there may have been one downstairs. We check every day; love the pictures and the connection to the Keweenaw.

By SK Gaylord,MI on Monday, November 27, 2000 - 09:47 pm:

My son lives just a few houses down on college ave. He said 7 students lived in the house. Just glad no one was hurt but sure hate to see students lose everything especially during a holiday vacation and right before finals!

By Greg M., WI on Tuesday, November 28, 2000 - 08:11 am:

My wife (Diana, two notes up) and I were dating when she lived in that apartment. I know most students would have a tough time recovering financially from that kind of loss. If the Red Cross or someone else sets up a fund for them, I'd like to see that info, or links to it, posted here.

By Jeff Crumbaugh, American Red Cross, Hancock, MI on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 10:49 am:

The American Red Cross - Western UP Chapter was the primary organization helping the fire victims. We provided immediate housing at the Super 8 Motel for several nights and made arrangements for a house rental. We also provided food and clothing for all seven students. Several students lost their contacts and we are replacing those as well. We are also working on raising funds to replace the student's computers. If anyone would like to help the American Red Cross in this effort and other disaster relief efforts please send your donations to: The American Red Cross, 801 N. Lincoln Dr., Hancock, MI 49930. We are grateful for your help and as always, we'll be there.

You may e-mail us at
or call at 482-8085 or 800-453-5504.

By Greg Kolodziej on Thursday, November 30, 2000 - 04:09 pm:

I was one of the residents of the house fire pictured above. Speaking for myself and my two other roommates we most certainly are grateful for the great help that the Red Cross in particular has been giving us in helping us with our crisis. They provided us with 2 nights in a hotel room, 225 dollars in clothes and other supplies at a local store, and various other things that mean alot to us. We would also like to thank Gloria Dei Luthern Church for donating us quilts and each a 25 dollar check, the Office of Student Affairs at Michigan Tech University for giving us each a 500 dollar check for school supplies, and especially my boss Jim Hainault who is manager of the Memorial Union Building for providing us and the other tenants with rooms for 2 weeks free of charge while we found another place to live. We also would like to especially thank all the other people who have offered services and assistance to us during our time of need.

Thank you,
Greg Kolodziej, John Rick, and Chris Wasel

By Mike Etten, MN on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 04:36 pm:

I lived in the upstairs apartment for one year (96-97). I am glad to here that no one was hurt in the fire, and that the Red Cross was quick to help out.

By Brad Bergman on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 05:11 pm:

I was one of Mike Etten's roommates for the year of 96-97. I affectionately named the house "Big Green". My bedroom (AKA "The Bat Cave")was in the attic.
Glad to hear that no one was hurt and that so many organizations and individuals from the community and Tech were quick to unselfishly help out the students left homeless by this fire.

By Paul Roberts, Hancock, MI on Saturday, December 2, 2000 - 07:50 am:

It's always neat to see a community come together to help victims like those of the house fire. Thanks to the Red Cross as well as all the indiviuals for their help and for providing the message boards in which these messages can be shared. Enjoy the site! Keep those pictures comin!

By Nader Mazloom, MI on Monday, December 4, 2000 - 05:59 pm:

I lived in that hole with Brad B. and Mike E. and all I can say is that it's good to see it gone. Like everyone else has said, it's good to see that nobody was turned into BBQ. I won't mention his name, but the owner (let's call him Richard) wasn't the best landlord around. Good job to the Red Cross. By the way, did my Red Wings pennant survive the fire? I left it in the house when I moved out. Let me know either way.

By Dave D, San Diego on Wednesday, December 6, 2000 - 09:55 pm:

That house was the scene of several good parties
(none of which I remember) when I was at Tech '78
- '83. Kudos to the Red Cross and other
volunteers...what a drag for the student

Powered by:  
Join Today!
Messages can no longer be posted to these older discussion pages, but you are welcome to join the conversation on Today's Pasty Cam

Here's a list of messages posted in the past 24 hours

See our guest photo gallery for more great views from the U.P.

While in the Copper Country be sure to visit
On US-41 north of Calumet
on US-41 in Kearsarge, a mile north of Calumet.
(The home of Pasty Central)

Home | Pasty Cam | Contest | Order Now | Bridge Cam | Pasty.NET | GP Hall of Fame | Making Pasties | Questions