Sep 19-23

Past-E-Mail: Cam Notes - 2023: September: Sep 19-23
Blackberry Bush in Sunshine    ...scroll down to share comments
Photo by Brita Haapala
Ripening Blackberries    ...scroll down to share comments
Photo by Brita Haapala
It's Blackberry Time    ...scroll down to share comments
Photo by Brita Haapala
Mohawk Stamp Mill in Gay to play video
See September 19 in the previous 25 years of the Pasty Cam
2022   2021   2020   2019   2018  
2017   2016   2015   2014   2013  
2012   2011   2010   2009   2008  
2007   2006   2005   2004   2003  
2002   2001   2000   1999   1998  

Mary Drew at Pasty Central (Mdrew) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 07:11 am:

Brita Haapala snapped these blackberry photos and said this about them:

“Blackberry picking at my mom's is the big season changing event for me. Summer is wrapping up, the days are shorter, the air smells differently, and there's a quiet that hangs there, a different kind of quiet than on a humid summer day.”
When I read her description, I couldn’t think of anything to say about her pictures that could describe them better. Brita doesn’t only have a way with photography, she also has a way with words!

Visit Keweenaw always has interesting videos about places around the Keweenaw. Today they’re taking us out to the town of Gay, for a quick look at the former industrial site of the Mohawk Stamp Mill, to help us understand the impact that copper mining had on the region we also call the Copper Country. Even though the mines have been closed for many years now, their mark is still visible as you’ll see here in today’s video.
Donna (Donna) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 10:26 am:

When I lived in a house in Baraga, the backyard was
FILLED with blackberries....and I mean HUGE could walk in a tunnel of them...while
thinking of the bear that probably made the tunnel
while chowing down. I had sibs dig up some bushes
and they are all making tons of berries....

That vid is so interesting....

By Alex "UP-Goldwinger" (Alex) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 12:32 pm:

I’m not a big fan of blackberries but they are very photogenic.

By jbuck (Jbuck) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 08:22 pm:

Very nice pictures and the description "a different kind of quiet than on a humid summer day" is so true and it's been happening A LOT the last couple weeks!

Did anyone see the Northern Lights last night?

By Deb S. (Usedtobeayooper) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 08:49 pm:

Nice pictures. There used to be a big
blackberry patch at the bottom of the hill
in our back yard but they're gone. My
husband LOVES blackberries, and especially
the jam. There's too many seeds for me. But
we managed to find enough for him to make a
couple of pints of blackberry syrup so he's
happy. And you're descriptions are right on
the money.

Jbuck, we went to Calumet Waterworks to see
them but left before they started to really
dance. Was gonna go back tonight but we were
trail riding and spending time at the beach
all day. I'm tired.

Loved the Gay video.

By D. A. (Midwested) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 11:18 pm:

I LOVE blackberries except the seeds ALWAYS get stuck in my teeth.

Here's what the Lights looked liked last night from atop the Greenstone Ridge on Isle Royale.
The Lights

By D. A. (Midwested) on Tuesday, September 19, 2023 - 11:23 pm:

For those that have experienced the vastness of the Gay stamp sands, know that you're only seeing about 10% of what was produced. The other 90% has already washed into The Lake; which is now interfering with a popular spawning grounds.

Powered by:  
Join Today!
You are welcome to comment here or on 
Pasty Central's Facebook page
Here's a list of messages posted in the past 24 hours
See our guest photo gallery for more great views from the U.P.

Add a Message

A user/password combination is now required to post messages to Cam Notes. Registration is free. Click here to register or maintain your I.D.

Home | Pasty Cam | Contest | Order Now | Bridge Cam | Past-E-Mail | GP Hall of Fame | Making Pasties | Questions