The Lake Superior Copper Company was the first mining enterprise in the Keweenaw.
The original estate comprised 40,000 acres, with mining operations beginning along the east bank of Eagle River.
The company had 15 men working above and below ground, and installed a stamp mill in 1845, the first in the region. By the end of 1846, 550 tons of mineral was mined.
By 1849, the money was running out, and the operations were sold to a new company, the Phoenix Copper Company, and work resumed under that name for many years.