This is one of the rarer varieties of Quincy stock.  It shows an incorporation date of March, 1878 which would be 30 years after the initial organization.  Michigan allowed corporate entities a maximum of 30 years, so this represents the "new"  or 2nd Quincy.

The Michigan copper mines were always known for their  "paternalism" and this letter is an excellent example.

The original #2 shaft

Thanks to Chuck Pomazal as correctly identifying this as the #7 shaft.

#7 shaft and rock house

#6 shaft and rock house, built 1892, seen here in the late 40's, her days of work now over.  It was destroyed by fire in 1956.

Man car at the #6 shaft

Interior view of the great Nordberg hoist for the new #2 shaft, completed in 1920.  The hoist could raise a 10 ton load of ore at a speed of 36.4 MPH from an inclined depth of  9260 feet.  It produced close to 2,500HP.  In 1984, it was designated a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark.
Click here to visit the Quincy Mine and Hoist web site

Torch Lake stamp mill built in 1890 (above) and second Torch Lake mill built in 1900 (below).  These replaced the older mill on Portage Lake, located just west of the bridge.