The history of the Phoenix can be traced back to the original Lake Superior Copper Company, the first organized corporation to mine in the Lake Superior district.
By the turn of the century, this mine was organized from the old Phoenix, St. Clair, Garden City and Atlas mines.
They controlled over 2,000 acres with 5 different copper veins.
A stamp mill was opened in 1903 and connected to the mine by the Phoenix Railway, a 2-mile narrow gauge line built and owned by the company (see the photo below).