The Minesota is probably the most historic of the Ontonagon County mines.
It is the oldest, being organized in 1848. It was discovered by exploring the ancient native pits that cover the local area.
It was famous for some of the extremely huge copper masses discovered on its property, including one that was 45 feet long, 8 feet thick, and weighed over 500 tons. It took a crew of twenty men 1 and a half years to hammer and chisel the mass into smaller pieces.
At its peak, over 700 men were employed above and below ground.
For additional research, read the semi-historical novel "WHERE COPPER WAS KING" by James North Wright, published 1905.
The basis for the book was the author's personal memories of the Minesota.