The story of the Tamarack is an interesting one.  The company purchased the land to the west of the great Calumet & Hecla, assuming that the conglomerate lode which was making fortunes for C&H would extend below for several thousand feet.  Operations for the #1 shaft were started in 1882, and 3 years later at over 2000 feet straight down, the lode was intersected, being off only 10 feet from the original calculations!
Eventually 5 shafts were completed, all vertical, with a maximum depth of over 5000 feet!