February 2001

Past-E-Mail: February 2001
*** Newer messages appear first.  You may add your message in the current month. ***
Editor's responses are in blue text

By Ellen, Florida on Sunday, February 25, 2001 - 12:01 am:

Re the annual Yooper Picnic, want to let you know that if you plan to attend, it will be held at Wickham Park on PARKWAY DRIVE. There was some confusion last year because Brevard Comm. College has a park on Wickham Road that they call Wickham Park also. I would hate for you to travel a distance and not be able to find the picnic.

Wow, Jim Noble, 180 miles is a long way to drive for a picnic, but hey, that is great. There are usually 200-300 attending each year. This is the 17th year I believe.

By Jim Noble, Homestead FL on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:04 pm:

To Ellen: Thanks for letting me know about the Yooper picnic in Melbourne. I will be driving up from Homestead, about 180 miles south of Melbourne. It will be worth it to gather with some of my fellow yoopers.

By Mark on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

How do I find out the pasty filling options on the ordering website?

By CheddarJohn on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 11:57 pm:

If anyone's at the MTU Job Fair in Houghton, say "Hi" to the guy at the Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley booth. Ask him to show pictures of his grandson.

By Jeff Carlson-Illinois on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 10:17 pm:

I was lucky enough to attend Suomi from 69 to 71,
and discovered pasties!! Our cooks were local
ladies from the neighborhood, so it was really
like having your Mom cook for you. The places to
eat up there were great, The Suomi Restuarant, the
Finlandia, Gino's, the Pizza Pad. I don't know if
any of those places are still in business. I guess
by now the Burger King's or Taco Bell's of the
world have hit Hancock/Houghton area, so the
sadder. My wife's family is from Iron River so we
always get pasties while we are there. We used to
go to the Pastie King which was a 2 by 4 lean to
attached to somebody's house, that was the drive
through. Were are your pasties made? I didn't pick
it from your web site. Very enjoyable!!!! If
anyone remembers me from Suomi pl

By Martin Lundmark, MA on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

Hi,

My name is Martin Lundmark, I'm from Sweden, and I spent a year in Calumet in 1981/82 as an exchange student. I'm in Boston, MA for some time this spring. If anyone recognises my name or would like to get in contact, please do. I'm going to visit Calumet 2-4 of March. martinl@mit.edu.

Take care
Martin

By Wisconsin on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 03:29 pm:

I was born in Laurium, Michigan my parents live in Laurium in the summer and in the winter they live in Tennessee, I love the pasties, and only get to enjoy them when i visit my parents, I used to make them years ago but with the busy times i have not been able to make them. So, please send me information for my area to order. I live in Pell Lake, Wi. 53157. Thank You so much!

We have two ways that you can order pasties. The easiest is to order them online from our site with our secure ordering process. Just click on order pasties on our front page, or the menu at the bottom of the page. Or just click here. The second way is to call our toll free number at 1-877-727-8911. (easy to remember: 877-PASTY-11)

By Carole, Sterling Hts. Mi. on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

The pasty girl has another person next to her when going into the picture of the day site. I can only assume that this is the same girl, but obviously a little older? Am I correct?? And what is the history of her?

By Pat, Michigan on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

For those of your looking for a video of "Escanaba in da Moonlight", it's only recently come out in the theatres so I don't think a video would be available right now. Keep checking; I'm sure it will make it to video!

By stan on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 11:29 am:

Charlie,
You mightwant to check on the link to Laurium Manor Inn in the Golden Pasty Hall of Fame.
Each time I click on it, I get the Duluth Mining Company website instead.

Thanks, Stan. The link has been updated.

By Bill Jacka Sr. Bham. Alabama on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 09:09 pm:

To the ketchup lovers - try butter and you amy not ever use ketchup again!

By G.Lee on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 11:25 am:

Also interested in getting a copy of "Escanaba in da Moonlight". Source(s), anyone? Thanks!

By Marc, offshore GoM on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:46 am:

Betty,Houston:

I live in Houghton but work offshore out of Houston. I'd be happy to drop off a few books on my way through the office next time, which should be about the end of March. Don't know anywhere you can order UP books online, but I'll ask around..

By Fred Andrew, Georgia on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 08:49 pm:

Dear Friends,

The Valentine pasties I ordered arrived yesterday
and we enjoyed them for dinner tonight.

You can see our pasty picnic at

www.math.gatech.edu/~andrew

Follow the link to "other photos" and then to
"Pasty Picnic of the South."

My wife thinks they're as good as knishes,
and as you can see, my mother-in-law would raise
the average age at Still Waters. We love
having her here with us, so we'll let her
help make pasties here (where I don't add
carrots) instead of there. Your crusts are
great, and the pasties are as tasty as those
I ate in Cornwall on vacation last summer.

As a child we'd drive from Connecticut to my
parents' homes (Houghton and Hancock) and eat
pasties at Bete Gris with my grandparents
(Rev. Mr and Mrs Alfred Haapanen, Alec Andrew).
Those we ate tonight were every bit as good,
and contained none of that fine Bete Gris sand.

Thanks, and best wishes to all,

Fred Andrew

By Clyde Parrott, Indiana on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

I have enjoyed pasties a number of times on trips to the UP, but none have compared to the ones my wife ordered from you folks as a Valentine's Day gift for me! What a wonderful surprise! Your pasties are absolutely marvelous! They arrived in perfect condition the next day after shipment. What a great value! So-o-o-o good!

By KATHY LUEA from LAPEER, MI on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

IS THERE ANY OTHER WAY TO EAT PASTIES EXCEPT WITH KETSUP??? I JUST MADE PASTIES THE OTHER DAY FOR MY FAMILY, AND THE FIRST COMMENT IS, WHO GETS THE KETSUP FIRST. PASTIES AND KETSUP GO TOGETHER LIKE SALT AND PEPPER AND BACON AND EGGS.
I GREW UP IN HANCOCK AND MY MOM STILL MAKES THE BEST PASTIES! KETSUP LOVERS UNITE!!!!

By Cathy Foster, Georgia on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 10:21 pm:

Help me........ I am trapped in the South and desperately miss being in God's country. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see the movie "Escanaba in da moonlight", being trapped here below the Mason Dixon line. If anyone could tell me how I could get a copy of this movie I would be VERY greatful. Please help a transplanted Northerner get the "fix" she needs.C

By Betty, Houston on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 09:07 pm:

Two questions:
1. Do any of your "Browse 'n' Shop" businesses sell books online about the history of the Copper Country?
If not, can someone suggest a website that does?
2. About a month or so ago someone suggested that some of the residents of Still Waters be interviewed and tell us about their lives, etc. Is this going to be pursued? I would love to learn more about the CC from the people who have always lived there. Still Waters has living history there!

By Alberta Puhek Beyers on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 06:42 pm:

Does anyone recognize the family name Misica, Geshel or Puhek from Calumet? My grandparents (Misicas) left there in the late 20s. Also, anyone else put ketchup on their pasties?

By Nikki M.,IL on Saturday, February 10, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

My grandparents and parents were from Calumet Michigan. They use to make pasty all the time. I can't wait to receive my first order. I also sent some to my sister who lives in New York. Hope it's not to cold up there. How much snow is on the ground?

By Vivian Miles LA on Friday, February 9, 2001 - 12:38 am:

It has been over 25 years since we moved to Louisiana from Ontonagon and even longer since we've eaten such delicious pasties as the ones we received from you this week. I found Pasty.com while I was looking at my favorite site, Quietly Wild, and ordered the pasties without telling my family. They were so excited to sit down to these beauties. The smell of the pasties lingered in the kitchen for hours and it was as if we were home again in the UP...Ofcourse, the 75 degree weather outside made imagination's have to streeeeetch alittle!!!

By Martin S. Oldford on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 11:33 am:

It's Winter Carnival and pasty time at da Tech in Houghton that I miss each year. Not a lot of snow in northern CA although we had a dusting last week. Received 4 pasties at my front door yesterday and they were delicious.Joe Kirkish, my old and wise professor, steered me to your site for which I am eternally grateful. Now if I could just import some Huskie hockey this way. Thanks and keep 'em coming.....MARTY '64

By Ellen, Florida on Thursday, February 8, 2001 - 01:56 am:

Just a note to let you resident Yoopers know that we misplaced Yoopers don't forget our roots:

The annual Yooper picnic will be held on March 4th, in Melbourne, Florida, at Wickham Park on Parkway Drive. "All Yoopers - residents, winter visitors and guests -- are invited." Just bring a covered dish to share and your own drinks. Lunch is at 1 PM and the picnic is from noon to dusk.

So y'all come!

By CheddarJohn on Wednesday, February 7, 2001 - 04:53 pm:

Has anyone else noticed that the standard veggie ingredients in a pasty are grown underground? And isn't it interesting, ironic, or a coincidence that these treats were eaten by miners who worked underground? Would the pasty have been a delicacy on the UnderGround RailRoad? Speaking of the UGRR, feel free to visit the Branded Hand site at http://www.geocities.com/brandedhand. The site was featured in the "Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and can be seen at http://www.jsonline.com/enter/netlife/loohauis/jan01/loohcol25012401.asp (You may have to copy and paste that URL). If you visit the web site, feel free to sign the guest book!

By Bill Penprase on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 11:21 pm:

I just have to answer John Chambers. All my grandparents came from Cornwall - from Redruth and Camborne. They would never put a carrot in a pasty; so I don't know what you mean unless there is some sort of negative thinking about people from Redruth. A Cornish pasty as I know it is made with rutabaga and also flank steak. I will admit that there is a bakery near St.Mivchael's Mount(in Cornwall) that makes one of the best pasties I have ever had.

Your reference about the knockers probably refers to the Tommy Knockers, that lengend says they helped the underground miners. I never heard about them in the Copper Country so I assume The Cornish miners there did not take that story with them. You will hear that legend around the old gold and silver mines in the western states.

My dad attended the Camborne School of Mines before coming to the States and I still have a couple of his notebooks.

John, the Keweenaw Peninsula is very much like Cornwall; if you ever have the opportunity, visit it
. There aren't any palm trees in Keweenaw like you have at St. Ives but the land is beautiful.
I'm stuck in Los Angeles but I would move to Keweenaw if I could.

By Pauline, Arkansas on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 09:18 am:

Sara, Az. Yes some people like carrots over the rutabaga. My Mom would use carrots if she could not find rutabagas, said it worked but did not taste the same. To each his own I guess. They are good both ways. I did not know the UP sold pasty meal. Is it all pork, veal or what?
My son likes carrots best.

By Yooper/Troll on Tuesday, February 6, 2001 - 06:37 am:

It's cold and miserable on Portage Lake @ Onekama. Anyone out there have a good recipe for cabbage soup?

Charlie Cloutier chc9207@jackpine.com

By Sara, phx,az on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 12:43 pm:

Didn't the Scandinavians use carrots in pasties- the original Cornish without? Anyone know for sure? Never put a Swede in my pasty!

By Pauline, Arkansas on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 11:44 am:

To Elln, Florida.
No, we lived "on the hill" known as Quincy or Franklin Mine, mail address was Franklin Mine.
Kin folk still up there. Actually quite a few, cousin in Flint has house in Portage, want to go there this summer. Check out the UP and the pasty place.

By Ellen, Florida on Monday, February 5, 2001 - 12:18 am:

To Pauline,Arkansas

Just wondering if you are the Pauline who lived in Hancock near the E.L. Wright Elem. school in the 1950s.

By John Chambers on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 05:22 pm:

Congratulations from faraway Cornwall on
your ambitious and very enthusiastic site
devoted to the pasty. However a word of
warning, never, never use carrots in pasties,
otherwise it means you come from Redruth! In
real Cornish pasties only swedes or turnips
are allowed. The use of carrots means you be
mazed, very likely your Cousin Jack ancestors
were the victims of a particularly cruel joke
played on them by the underground knockers
who live hidden away in all mine workings.

By Pauline/Arkansas on Sunday, February 4, 2001 - 02:28 pm:

Was given this link from a friend in Flint. Born in the UP, Dad moved us to In. Still have family there, hope to come back "home" this summer.
Mom taught me to make pasties, and my kids, and grandchild love them. Actually miss the snow.
Pauline

By Daryl Laitila on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

Here is the link to that story in the Detroit Free Press:

http://www.freep.com/news/weather/snow3_20010203.htm

By Mike Ellis, Redford, Mi on Saturday, February 3, 2001 - 11:22 am:

The U.P. made the Detroit Free Press front page once again!! On Saturday's front page, there is an article of the snowfall in the Keweenaw peninsula. Needless to say, this transplanted yooper is very homesick for all the snow!! We only have 29 inches this year, compared to the 200 plus they talk about in the article.
Keep up the good work on the web site.

By Jean Mi. A troll on Friday, February 2, 2001 - 07:49 pm:

Let me add my applause for the movie Escanaba in da moonlight! I saw it in Birmingham Mi.it was sold-out and the audience loved it, most people stayed for the credits. A totally funny, funny flick that I would like to see again.

By Robert D. Bloing SC on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 11:39 am:

My pasties arrived yesterday (Wednesday), and they were great!!! I has been too many years since I have had a good pasty.

Going to order more as a gift for the rest of my family that have relocated here from Michigan.

Thanks,

Bob Bloing

By Greg Parolini on Thursday, February 1, 2001 - 08:53 pm:

I found this site by accident a few weeks ago while surfing for pasty information. My sister gave me a pasty recipe that my mom used when I was a kid 30 years ago. I was in Norway recently and picked up pasty meat at the grocery store in town and plan to make them for the first time ever this weekend. I hope they turn out.
This site is wonderful. The pictures are a great way for me to go back to the UP in the comfort of my home. I live in Grand Rapids now and the movie, Escanaba in da moonlight, was a hit here. I saw the play last year and loved it too.